Wayne Gretzky, arguably the greatest hockey player of all time, once famously shared his key to success: “Skate where the puck is going, not where it has been.” This advice resonates outside the ice rink. Wellness and how it is viewed and valued has changed in recent years and continues to transform dramatically in 2022. As ACE Certified Professionals seeking to grow our ability to serve people, it is worth asking: Where is the wellness ‘puck’ going?
Here are three key indicators that can help us focus on the future of health and wellness:
- The eleventh World Health Organization (WHO) revision of International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) Entry into force January 1, 2022. With this revision, the definition of burnout from stress syndrome has been updated to a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic stress in the workplace that has not been successfully managed. It is characterized by three dimensions: (1) The feeling of being exhausted or depleted of energy. (2) Increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativity or ridicule related to one’s job; and (3) feelings of ineffectiveness and underachievement. Burnout refers specifically to phenomena in the occupational context and should not be applied to describe experiences in other areas of life.
- The budget for corporate wellness programs is rising, averaging $6 million, and for large employers (more than 20,000 employees), the average budget is $10.5 million. In fact, 92% of respondents to 12The tenth Employer-sponsored annual health and wellness survey They expanded their support for programs that address issues such as stress management, improving sleep and resilience, as well as support for mental health programs for dependent children.
- Telehealth and associated tele/virtual delivery of wellness as reported Department of Health and Human Services It has forever changed the landscape of what is possible. The barriers that existed around using and engaging with the virtual method have been eliminated. In doing so, the scalability of providing and receiving services is no longer restricted by geography, and cost/time barriers have been significantly reduced. In addition, significant evidence exists to support Live video event Health and wellness training Positive effects on patients Physiological, behavioral and psychological conditions and their social life. In particular, the statistically significant findings demonstrated better weight management, an increase in physical activity, and an improved physical and mental health status.
Among these key indicators, the ICD-11’s definition of burnout as chronic stress in the workplace is particularly important. Seeing it through the lens of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) holistic worker health program Explains the relationship between wellness and worker safety. While organizations are already investing more money in wellness programs, as evidenced by the second key indicator, this new definition of burnout is helping to turn workplace wellness into an important component of occupational safety. When we combine this urgency and ability to meet it with health and wellness coaching, we meet opportunity.
Here are some of the ways you can use these new developments to expand your opportunities to serve more customers:
- Broadcast customer-facing messages in language that demonstrates how your services promote well-being and well-being. Consider workplace wellness messages that directly address the three dimensions of burnout identified by the World Health Organization. Use a problem-solving approach where you associate your solution with each “problem”: feeling drained or overwhelmed; Increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativity or cynicism related to one’s job; A feeling of ineffectiveness and lack of achievement.
- Position yourself to take full advantage of future opportunities to offer your services in the field of workplace wellness and/or to become a full-time employee at one of the many digital health companies that are emerging to cater to this market. If you are not ACE Certified Health Coach, Now is the time to start working towards earning your degree. If you are already certified, start with a file ACE Health Coach Advanced Training Program and maximize your capabilities. If these two paths are not for you right now, consider Behavior Change Specialist Program To gain the skills you need. Access an abundance of free ACE articles and blogs on topics like Meditation And the Full concentration of the mind To increase your understanding of these evidence-based methods for relieving stress and increasing energy and feelings of well-being.
Taking Gretsky’s axiom “skate to where the disk is going, not where it was,” note that the first word is a verb. Knowing where the disk goes is only valuable when combined with action. You are the most important factor in shaping your future opportunities. Will you view your future as a matter of chance or choice? What actions will you take to prepare yourself and push you towards your bright future?
Did you like this content and are you interested in more? Are you an ACE Certified Professional? Check out our new professional resource, ACE Pro Compass, a hub of exclusively curated business and career-related content where you can navigate the path of your choice, explore opportunities and discover tools to help build and adapt your career in health and exercise.