You can make the coolest Italian carbonara recipe ever, entirely plant-based. Yes that’s right! This hearty vegan carbonara calls for pumpkin, mushrooms, and bacon to make a rich, creamy pasta that’s flavorful and satisfying. It only takes about 20 minutes to prep this easy carbonara recipe as the main event of your meal, along with a crunchy side salad. You can even serve them straight from the skillet to reduce dishes!
What is carbonara?
It is a simple and rustic Italian pasta dish, originating in Rome and dating back to the 20th century. Her trademark ingredients are long, thin pasta, like spaghetti or linguine, eggs, bacon (bacon), hard cheese, and black pepper. To make this recipe vegan, I removed the original roots of the carbonara recipe to remove the meat, eggs, and cheese and replaced them with bacon and pumpkin for creaminess, flavor, and color.
How to make carbonara
Start by cooking the pasta in boiling water until al dente. Then you save some of the pasta water for later. While it’s cooking, you can sauté the bacon and mushrooms and add the pumpkin, cream, pasta water reserve, and seasoning. Then top it with vegan Parmesan cheese. Yum!
Create the best carbonara recipe ever with this vegan carbonara with butternut squash, packed with the flavors of bacon, pumpkin, mushrooms and pasta. This vegan carbonara is a healthy and easy one-dish meal that you can have on the table in 20 minutes!
- water as needed
- 1 pound long, thin pasta (eg, linguini, macaronior bucatini)
- 1 1/2 cups reserved pasta cooking water
1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Average an onioncubes
- 3 clove garlicminced
- 5 oz mushroomscut into slices
- 6 oz Tempeh bacon (or Do it yourself below *), cut into small pieces, approx ½inch
- 2 tsp fresh or Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 (15 ounce can) Pumpkin (or Homemade pumpkin puree)
- Half a cup Vegan Parmesan (or make your own) over here)
- Add water to a big pot until half full. Cover, place on stove, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until al dente, following the pasta manufacturer’s instructions (eg, about 7 minutes for many types of pasta). Remove cooked pasta from water, drain, and set aside, reserving 1 12 cups of pasta water for later use.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the a Great frying pan On medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bacon, thyme, black pepper, red chili flakes, and 1/2 cup of the pasta water, and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and stir well. Add enough pasta water (about 1/2 cup) to get a creamy texture.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta and stir gently until well coated. If desired, add more of the reserved pasta water as needed to make a moist, creamy pasta dish.
- Top with vegan Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Makes 8 servings (about 1 cup pasta per serving)
* Learn how to make your own Smokey tempeh bacon over here—Follow recipe, except for frying or pan-baking step. Simply soak the bacon strips, drain them, and use the dates in step 5.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and tempeh.
- Preparation time: 12 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- category: Entry
- dishes: American, Italian
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 337
- sugar: 5 grams
- sodium: 455 mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- carbohydrates: 57 grams
- the basic: 5 grams
- protein: 12 grams
Key words: Vegan Carbonara, Carbonara Recipe, What is Carbonara, How to Make Carbonara, Easy Carbonara Recipe
Discover other vegan dinner recipes here:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click over here.