I adore nature’s compact vegetables, such as squash, peppers, and eggplant, which make wonderful “containers” for savory fillings. When filled with whole grains, legumes, herbs, and nuts, these unassuming vegetables turn into a gorgeous plant-based meal in one. This recipe for Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat is inspired by a trip to the farmers market, where I spied beautiful golden acorn squash just the perfect size for stuffing. You also can use traditional green-skinned acorn squash, as well as any small squash, such as butternut, buttercup, and carnival, which are widely available in most supermarkets.
I turn to a vegetable broth to simmer grain and legume fillings in order to add a rich flavor. And I use quick cooking freekeh (a form of toasted green whole wheat) and lentils in this stuffed squash recipe, which means that you can create this easy stuffed squash dish in no time. This vegan stuffed squash recipe is just so satisfying and wholesome! All you have to do is pair it with a crisp salad and you have an elegant meal any time of the week. Plus it’s absolutely fabulous for the holidays, too.
Turn to winter squash to create a healthy, delicious plant-based Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat.
- 2 small (about 1 ¾ pound each) squashes (i.e., acorn, butternut, carnival)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 green onions, finely diced
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped (or 2 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ cup green or brown lentils, dried
- ½ cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Split acorn squash in half horizontally, scoop out seeds.
- Place in a baking dish filled with ½ inch water and bake for 30 minutes.
- While squash is baking, prepare filling. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet.
- Sauté garlic, celery, onions, and mushrooms for 4 minutes.
- Add walnuts, sage, black pepper, smoked paprika, and mustard.
- Stir in lentils and bulgur, and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add broth and soy sauce, stirring well.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Makes about 3 cups filling.
- Fill squash cavities with filling (about 3/4 cup each).
- Return to oven, uncovered and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until filling is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, stuffed acorn squash recipes, vegan stuffed acorn squash, stuffed squash, stuffed squash recipe
For other squash recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.