Steel cut oats are the perfect, nutritious backdrop for a healthy, hearty combo of tofu, spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms. You can serve this vegan, gluten-free Savory Oatmeal with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Tofu up for a satisfying breakfast or any meal, really. All you have to do is cook up a pot of steel cut oats, and sauté this hearty mixture of nutritious ingredients for a completely fabulous breakfast that will pack in enough nutrition to last you for hours. Meal prep a few bowls in advance so you can pop them in the microwave to enjoy on busy mornings—or pack along in a mason jar or thermos to eat at work. You can even turn this meal into “breakfast for dinner”. It simply can’t be beat!
Savory Oatmeal with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Tofu
Total Time: 27 minutes
Yield: 4 servings 1x
Turn to this easy yummy recipe for Savory Oatmeal with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Tofu to provide a healthy, nutrient-rich, plant-based, gluten-free breakfast.
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot and add oats. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, according to package directions, to desired texture.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add red onions, garlic, and tofu and sauté for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, black pepper, salt, dried basil, and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and vinegar and sauté for 2 minutes, until wilted but bright green.
- Divide oatmeal among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with spinach tofu mixture. Serve with warm plant-based milk, as desired
*To press tofu, use a tofu press; or wrap tofu in paper towels and place between two plates with something heavy pressing on the top plate for 15 minutes, draining away liquid.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 231 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 26 g
Keywords: savory oatmeal, vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast ideas, healthy vegan breakfast, vegan oatmeal, are oats gluten free, steel cut oats recipe
For other vegan oatmeal recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Strawberry Banana Coconut Baked Oatmeal
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
Mulberry Hazelnut Oats with Molasses
Pumpkin Overnight Oats
Healthy Trail Mix Homemade Oatmeal
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.
Discussion about this post