Roasted winter vegetables—root vegetables, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts—are among my favorite dishes. Filled with comforting aromas, textures, and flavors, they are bursting with benefits for the palate, as well as body. While it’s easy to neglect veggies in the cooler months, when summer’s abundance is out of reach, it’s a reminder to turn to seasonal produce and pack your diet with more vibrant plant foods in the winter. This vegetable side dish recipe is roasted in a fabulous tahini spice sauce, then topped with parsley and pomegranate seeds. It’s really easy enough to serve as a side for a Sunday night dinner (try it with my baked lasagna or lentil patties), but it’s special enough to serve at your holiday table too (try it for Thanksgiving or Christmas!). It’s also great as a potluck addition, and the leftovers are wonderful the next day.
Roasted Tahini-Smothered Winter Vegetables
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings 1x
This vegan, gluten-free roasted winter vegetable medley, which includes a whole cauliflower with carrots, parsnips, and Brussels sprouts, is smothered with a simple, flavorful tahini sauce.
- 1 small head (1 pound) cauliflower
- 2 small (2 ounces each) parsnips
- 2 small (2 ounces each) carrots
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils (or frozen)
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower, and cut out core of the cauliflower head without disrupting the florets (cauliflower head should remain whole and intact).
- Scrub the parsnips and carrots and slice them (unpeeled) into large sections (about 2 inches).
- Trim the ends of the brussels sprouts and slice them in half.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare the Tahini Sauce by adding tahini, olive oil, water, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, brown sugar (optional), black pepper, and salt (optional) to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Place the parsnips, carrots, and brussels sprouts in a large casserole or baking dish (about 2 quarts), drizzle with two-thirds of the sauce, and toss well with tongs. Arrange the vegetables in dish, allowing room for the cauliflower in the center. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the cauliflower.
- Bake uncovered in top rack of the oven at 400 F for 40-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley and pomegranate arils.
- Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 44 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: roasted vegetables, healthy side dishes, winter vegetables
For other plant-based vegetable side-dishes, try the following recipes:
Maple and Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Orange Ginger Carrots
Broccoli Walnut Au Gratin
Mashed Potatoes and Heirloom Carrots with Basil, Garlic, and Olive Oil
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.
Discussion about this post