There’s nothing like a good savory filling to complete a special meal, right? It’s a great side dish for a holiday meal, Sunday night supper, or potluck dinner. An all-vegan baked good (or sauce) stuffing recipe is easy to make, like Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing. My favorite stuffing recipe is rich in flavor cornbread stuffing, like my mom makes. So this flavorful, healthy filling of cornbread with cranberries highlights the delicious flavors of home-baked cornbread, rustic wholegrain bread, shallots, mushrooms, rosemary, walnuts, and cranberries. Serve it with my own Lentil pancakes with mushroom sauce To make it a great meal!
Growing up in Arkansas, my mom’s family enjoyed cornbread as a daily accompaniment to their meals, considering corn to be the staple grain grown on their farm. She always made a batch of cornbread the day before, then slathered in the cornbread filling, mixed it with sautéed onions and celery, and a fragrant gravy. I turned to my mother’s family traditions and added some of my own touches to this totally delicious recipe—rosemary from my garden, cranberries, leeks, mushrooms, and walnuts. This recipe keeps on giving, because it’s delicious the next day, too!
This easy vegan cornbread stuffing with cranberries is rich in flavors of cornbread, leeks, mushrooms, celery, cranberries, rosemary, and walnuts. A perfect holiday meal, or a simple home-cooked rustic dinner at home.
- Make one batch (9″ x 9″) Cornbread is vegan According to package directions or recipe instructions. When the cornbread is done, set it aside and cool slightly.
- While the corn is baking, place the whole-wheat bread in a baking dish in the oven and toast until golden brown and dry (about 8 minutes)—do not burn.
- Heat the olive oil in a Great frying pan Add shallots, garlic and celery and sauté for 9 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, rosemary, cranberries, walnuts, and black pepper and sauté for an additional 4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Cut 3/4 of the cornbread into small cubes (about 1 inch square). Use leftover cornbread for other uses (serve with soup or chili).
- Cut whole wheat toast into small cubes (about 1 inch square).
- Transfer the cornbread and whole wheat cubes to a large mixing bowl. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and stir gently.
- Add vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring gently. Add enough broth to get a moist (but not soggy) mixture, with all the liquid absorbed. Taste and season with salt, if desired.
- Spray a large (3-quart) casserole dish or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the filling to the dish.
- Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and serve immediately.
*If using cornbread mix, follow directions but use plant-based milk and egg substitute to make this recipe vegan.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free cornbread and bread.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- category: dish side
- dishes: American
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- sugar: 2 g
- sodium: 224 mg
- Fat: 11 grams
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- carbohydrates: 25 grams
- the basic: 4 g
- protein: 6 grams
Key words: Cornbread Stuffing, Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
For other vegetarian side dishes, check out some of my favourites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.