FRIDAY, August 19, 2022 (HealthDay News) — State health officials announced this week that the death of a child in Nebraska was caused by infection with a “brain-eating amoeba” that occurred after the child swam in a local river. .
In a press release, officials said it was the first such death to be reported in the state’s history. known as Nigeria FollieriAnd the The amoeba can cause primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), an extremely rare but almost always fatal brain infection.
“Millions of recreational water exposures occur each year, while only zero to eight occur Nigeria Follieri State epidemiologist Dr. Matthew Donahue noted in the press release that infections are identified each year. Infection usually occurs later in the summer, in warm waters with slower flow, in July, August and September. Cases are most frequently identified in the southern states, but were more recently identified in the Far North. Reducing the chances of fresh water entering the nose is the best way to reduce the risk of infection.”
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is working to confirm the cause of the child’s death with tests, Lindsey Hoss, director of the Douglas County Department of Health, said during a news conference Wednesday about the child’s death, NBC News mentioned.
Hoss said the boy went swimming on August 8 in the Elcorn River, Nebraska, developed symptoms five days later and was hospitalized within 48 hours after symptoms developed.
Dr. Carrie Neiman, medical advisor for Douglas County, said during a news conference about the death, that the child, whom authorities have not released additional information about out of respect for the family, died on August 18.
“For now, we are simply urging the public to be vigilant and take precautions when they are exposed to any of our warm fresh water sources,” Hoss said.
unicellular organism N. fowleri It can be found in soil and fresh water, such as lakes, streams, hot springs, and rivers. It can infect people when contaminated water rises in the nose. The amoeba is found in northern states more often where climate change is causing air and water temperatures to rise.
The amoeba infects about three people annually in the United States and is usually fatal, according to the CDC. A total of 154 cases of amoebic meningoencephalitis occurred between 1962 and 2021. Only four of those infected survived.
A Missouri resident also died of an amoeba in July, possibly contracting it while swimming in Lake Iowa.
Swimmers should try to prevent water from entering their noses by blocking their noses if immersed in fresh water underwater. Health officials also suggest not to stir up sediment in warm, shallow waters. Swallowing water does not cause this infection.
“Make sure you don’t engage in activities that cause water hard in the nose like jet-skiing, high-speed tubing, these types of activities,” Huse said.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about the brain-eating amoeba.