The traditions of delicious, rustic Puglian food in southern Italy date back thousands of years. The foods are simple, based on what is available regionally in this sunny Mediterranean climate. Classic bean dishes are part of those traditions. Filled with nutrition, good taste and satisfaction, these bean recipes, served with delicious local bread from Puglia (Apulia In Italian) tasty and filling. While in Puglia, I enjoyed the classic local dish Vava Pure E Securel (Vava with dandelion) in many meals. Completely vegan and gluten-free, it was pure bliss served with locally produced wheat bread and a salad of tomatoes and cucumbers in olive oil.
I brought fava beans from Italy for this recipe, but you can easily find it Fava Beans In many supermarkets and online shops. You can also substitute another type of beans, such as cannellini, flagolete, or white beans. In this recipe, Puglians use bitter greens, such as dandelion, or kale, or wild greens, such as dandelion. I used dandelion in this recipe, as it can be easily found in many supermarkets, farmers markets, or food search places. If you can’t find dandelions, try mustard greens.
Simply soak the beans overnight, cook in fresh water and broth with onions and a little spice until soft, mash until soft, and cover with vegetables until wilted. Sprinkle it with olive oil and dig in it!
- 8 ounces Dried beans (or cannellini, flagolete, or white beans)
- 4 cups broth
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Divided extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium diced onion
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- Half a teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Half a teaspoon salt (optional)
- Half a teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Large handful of fresh dandelion greens or coarsely chopped dandelion (or mustard green substitute)
- Place the beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover with water, and marinate overnight (about 8 hours).
- Drain, return to pot, add broth, water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt (optional), and black pepper, cover, and simmer over medium heat for about 1 hour, stirring constantly until The beans become very soft and mushy. You may need to add extra water if needed to create a thick, stew-like consistency (it shouldn’t be too runny).
- Remove from heat and immediately use a potato masher to mash the beans while they are hot in the pot, forming a thick mixture (about the consistency of mashed potatoes). Add more hot water if the mixture is too dry and thick.
- Add chopped dandelion greens over beans, cover, and simmer 5 minutes – do not stir, let vegetables wilt. Drizzle a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Feet it right away.
- Prepare 6 servings (about 1 cup each).
- Preparation time: 10 minutes + 8 hours for soaking
- Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- category: Appetizer
- dishes: Mediterranean, American
Key words: Beans, beans recipe, what are beans, how to cook beans, dried beans
Check out these other recipes that contain beans:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click over here.